Sunday, December 1, 2013

My first introduction to the cyberpunk genre

Wikipedia defines cyberpunk as, "a postmodern science fiction genre noted for its focus on 'high tech and low life.' It features advanced science, such as information technology and cybernetics, coupled with a degree of breakdown or radical change in the social order." My first exposure was through the comic book series, Akira. Akira is the tale of a young man, Tetsuo, living in a futuristic "Neo-Tokyo," who falls in with an experimental, secret branch of the government dedicated to producing children with psychic abilities. Tetsuo is a street punk and doesn't work well in the confines of the institution that is trying to help him develop his abilities. The power quickly drives him mad, causing him to wreak havoc in the city and release another child with God-like psionic abilities--Akira.

"Psi" is an extension of my abiding love for the genre. I have also been into the zombie genre since LONG before it was popular. I even wrote a book on the subject, "The Unliving: A Personal Tale of Zombie Apocalypse." "Psi" is a melding of these two favored forms of fiction, in game form. I hope you will enjoy playing it as much as I am enjoying making it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Logo

Logo